Monday, February 28, 2011
Update Google Chrome
Google's streamlined and speedy browser Chrome offers strong integrated search and an intriguing alternative to Firefox and Internet Explorer.
For maximum security, the Google Chrome web browser updates itself automatically. However, you can update Google Chrome using the built-in update utility.
- Open Google Chrome. Click the "Customize and control Google Chrome" icon---shaped like a wrench---in the top row of the window, then click "About Google Chrome." If you receive an error message such as "update server not available," continue to the next step. If not, skip to Step Five.
- Close Google Chrome. Click the Start button and then click "Computer." Browse to "C:," "Users," the folder with your Windows user name, "AppData," "Local," "Google" and "Update."
- Click in the address bar at the top of the Windows Explorer window. Type "cmd" without quotation marks and press "Enter." Windows Vista opens a command prompt in the "Update" folder.
- Type "Google Update/RegServer" and press "Enter" Google Chrome downloads the available updates and applies them. Close the command prompt and reopen Google Chrome when the process is complete. Return to the "About Google Chrome" screen.
- Examine the status message shown in the lower-left corner of the window. If updates are available, Google Chrome downloads and installs them automatically. If the browser is already updated, the window displays the message "Google Chrome is up to date." Click "OK" to return to the browser.
Tips & Warnings
- If you are unable to find the "AppData" folder under your Windows Vista user folder, click the "Organize" button at the top of the window, then click "Folder and Search Options." Click the "View" tab, select the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button and click "OK."
- If you are unable to find the "Google Update" utility, your installed version of Google Chrome may be too old to utilize the automatic update function. Download the updated version of Google Chrome manually from the official website.